Chicken Salad with Charred Tomato and Broccoli Recipe
I can see you frowning and worried because it’s one hour before dinner and yet you haven’t decided which salads recipes with chicken will you prepare for your hubby and children. Try this salad recipe with chicken, broccoli and charred tomato.Salads recipes with chicken are a good source of protein. Chicken also helps boost your immune system and protects you against some diseases. Due to the chicken’s niacin content, you will have some protection against cancer. For those who have thyroid hormone metabolism problem, you can benefit a lot from this salad recipe with chicken.The tomato content of this salad recipe with chicken is rich in lycopene which is considered as a good antioxidant. Tomato also helps lower bad cholesterol in your body. It can also prevent unwanted clotting of platelet cells in the blood – a factor which is essential in lowering the risk of heart problems.This salad recipe with chicken is also a good source of vitamin-C, certain amino acids and sulphur because it has broccoli on it. In case you don’t know broccoli in salads recipes with chicken, charred tomato & broccoli is considered as an excellent detoxifier.
- 1 ½ lb skinless, boneless, trimmed chicken breasts or 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 4 cups florets of broccoli
- 1 ½ lbs tomatoes medium size
- 2 tsp plus 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp pepper – freshly ground
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
InstructionsPreparing the Chicken:
- In a saucepan or skillet, place the chicken and pour enough water to cover.
- Then simmer over high heat.
- Cover, at low heat, simmer for 10 to 12 mins until there is no longer pink colour in the middle of the chicken and is cooked well.
- Allow the chicken to cool down and shred using two forks into small size pieces.
Preparing the Salad:
- Boil the broccoli for 3 to 5 mins in a large pot of water until it becomes tender.
- Drain and use cold water to rinse.
- While waiting for the broccoli to cool down, core the tomatoes and divide it in half crosswise.
- Slowly squeeze out the seeds and discard.
- In a paper towel, place the tomatoes cut-side down to drain for about 5 mins.
- Over high heat place a big heavy skillet, like cast-iron until very hot.
- On the cut sides of the tomatoes rub 1 tsp of oil and put them cut-side down in the skillet.
- Cook the tomatoes until well-cooked and starts to soften for about four to five mins.
- Then brush the top lightly with another 1 tsp oil, turn and cook for 1 to 2 mins or more or until the skin is charred.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool down. Do not wash the pan.
- I am using the remaining 3 tbsp oil heat it in the pan over medium heat.
- Stir in pepper, chilli powder and salt and cook with constant stirring, until fragrant for about 45 secs.
- Gradually pour the lemon juice then remove the pan from the heat. Stir to remove any browned bits.
- Chop the tomatoes coarsely and combine them in a massive bowl with the broccoli, shredded chicken and the dressing. Toss to mix.
- The number of ingredients in this recipe will serve 6 individuals 1 1/3 cups each.
- Additional Information about the recipe:
- Nutrients you will get per serving:
- Calories 231
- Fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 60 mg
- Carbohydrate 8 g
- Protein 24 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 460 mg
- Potassium 619 mg
- Additional Nutrition: vitamin C, Vitamin A, Selenium and Potassium