If you having swollen legs and don’t know what to do then, don’t you worry about it. As everyone is suffering from swollen ankles at some point in time having own causes and types of the person. Known as Foot Edema, this disease takes place when there is an accumulation of fluids in the ankle and feet. The swollen ankle is not a disease but should take good care of it. It can be a symptom of an underlying health condition so, be aware.
Common Causes of Swollen Ankles
Swollen ankles when you are going through pregnancy and menstruation as well. Sometimes, the swelling doesn’t need any medical treatment as they are for a short time period. Although, it can create your situation difficult as you are not able to bear the suffering on those days. In most of the situation, the natural treatments can do wonders to your swollen ankles and give you instant relief as soon as possible. Along with that, you need to know about the cause of all your suffering and they are as follows:
- High blood pressure – leads to water and fluid retention
- Pregnancy and menstruation
- Inactivity for a long time or sedentary lifestyle
- A blood clot in the leg
- Long-haul flight
- Aging (wear and tear of muscles and poor blood circulation towards feet)
- Too much physical activity (suddenly you start exercising or walking)
- Generalized edema – like when you suffer from typical fluid retention
- Any injury to the feet or leg.
Natural Treatment That Can Provide You Relief in Your Swollen Ankles:
Quick Remedies to Reduce the Swelling of Ankles
1. Ice Therapy:
While talking about swelling, you can undoubtedly count on ice cubes to cool down your skin and reduce the swelling as well. Ice therapy not only constricts the blood vessels but will lessen your pain at the same time.
- You need to dab a few ice cubes on the swollen part using a cloth.
- Do it for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Don’t forget to give your foot an ice bath in an alternate manner.
- Apply few ice cubes in a tub and rinse your feet in the cold water. Excessive use of ice is also not good so, don’t use it for more than a minute.
2. Elevate your legs:
Whenever you see your ankles are swollen then, you need to elevate your legs immediately. You can even place your legs on the wall or over your pillow while you lie down. Just remember, your legs need to be straight. If you do so, your legs will reduce blood flow towards legs and reduce the swelling as well. You need to do this for at least 20 to 30 minutes, thrice a day. After this, I’m sure you will feel calm and relaxed. Similarly, when you sit for a longer time, place your feet on a raised platform like a stool or a chair.
- Place your leg over 1 or more pillows when you go to bed or take rest.
- Don’t forget to keep your feet elevated while sitting by resting them on a stool or a chair.